Friday 12 March 2010

Racism


Both my primary and secondary school were multicultural. As a result of this, I've always had friends from many different races, so I've always been against racism and never been racist towards anyone in my life. This makes it difficult for me whenever I am around people being racist towards people, as obviously I am against it.



However, what confuses me is that certain people who can easily make a racist remark are there supporting football teams with black players in, or listening to rappers such as Jay-Z or 50 Cent. In a way, I think that this is good as it is adding diversity into society and it is because of these singers and sports stars that there is less racism about. Even though I do think that there is less racism about than there might have been 10 or 15 years ago, it is clear that there is still racism about. I often attend football matches and still even in today's society, it is obvious that there are still racist opinions about. Another time when racism in football was evident was when England played Spain and the Spanish fans were hurling racist abuse at England player Sean Wright-Phillips,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4024167.stm






Despite plenty of campaigns from the Government to help cut down racism in society and in sport, it is obvious that there is still racism present, however, in my opinion (and I'm sure that I'm not alone on this one), I see the new role of Barack Obama as president as being a great move forward in the world today as he is such a poweful human being and also so influential. I think that looking back over the years to when there was so much discrimination to black people as there is now, it proves that hopefully in years to come racism won't be present in everyday life with more different races being involved in sport, music and politics.


No comments:

Post a Comment